Thursday, August 14, 2008

Happy Birthday!

Ailey is into birthdays lately. I actually think it started around her 3rd birthday in April when, maybe, she finally "got" what a birthday was. Now everyday is a birthday. Some days it's my birthday, some days it's Papa's. Some days it's her own birthday. Some days it's her little pink stuffed bear, Fauna's birthday.

She now has a "cake" that is a permanent fixture in her toy box - it's a small box with a lid that probably held note cards at one point but was used by GG (Great-Grandma LaVerne) to send her a gift, and the empty toddler-toothpaste box that her new tube came out of about a week ago. The note card box is the cake, the toothpaste box is the candle. I LOVE the imagination of 3 year olds!
The cake:

For the past few days the box that our newest highchair came in is the "present". She puts her dolls in there, her toy mail, play food, the babies' toys, whatever else she can find to make into a present. Today she actually made herself into the present - "Mother" (she decided to call me Mother today, but then didn't appreciate it when I called her "Daughter", go figure)... "Mother, will you come close the box so I can be a present?" Then, "Come open the present!" Again, love the way her mind works.

Today is my Aunt Vicki's birthday. I got to talk to her for over an hour today. It's unheard of that I even get a peaceful 5 minutes during the day to talk on the phone. I had just put the babies down for a nap for which they slept 2 1/2 hours, and I put Ailey in front of Clifford the Big Red Dog and, voila, time just appeared out of nowhere! Anyway, at least one time today Ailey's birthday cake was for Aunt Vicki ... then I think it was for Fauna again.

We're awaiting a new baby in our family - my sister Sarah is due any minute with her first, so pretty soon that "cake" will be for Baby Dutchin. Ailey has already sent Baby D a birthday card. My mom's and grandma's birthdays are next week. Uncle Winnie's birthday is in a month. Ailey and I discussed all of this throughout the day today. I guess the birthday obsession is just going to continue!

1 comment:

The Dutchin Family said...

We love the card for Baby Dutchin and look forward to actually sharing it with him/her! I love the cake and the imagination that goes with it...a very good thing to be able to create that way. My niece is brilliant!