Saturday, August 2, 2008

A lovely day for a walk

It's wasn't really the perfect day for a walk yesterday. The sun was out, but it was only in the mid-60s, kind of windy, clouds rolling over the sun frequently. But the four of us (me, Ailey and the babies) have been cooped up in the house all week due to the rainy weather. (Remember I got out twice a couple days ago ... to the mailbox?) So against my subconcious better judgement (hind-sight is 20/20, you see), I decided we were going to take the stroller out for a stroll around the neighborhood.


We first tried in the morning. It was a no-go. I had to feed both babies first, and Marin nearly fell asleep in the bouncy seat. Nap time. So then it's about 3:00 and everything seems to be in the right place to make this if-not-for-having-3-kids-including-infant-twins-an-otherwise-easy-outing happen. Babies are fed, Ailey's had lunch and pottied recently, Silje's getting close to needing a nap but she should be fine for a short trip. So I do a last diaper change, bundle up babies, get Ailey to change out of her cheer-outfit skirt and into pants and put on her shoes.


However, I forget Silje doesn't like new things - new settings, new people, new schedules - because I decide to try the stroller for the first time without Marin and Silje in the infant car seats. They're sitting nicely in the stroller seats with the shoulder straps on. Ailey is strapped into her seat. My own shoes on. Cell phone in pocket. Go.

We get a little ways down the road and Silje starts to cry. It's her "this isn't something I know" cry. I talk to her a little. It doesn't work. I stop the stroller, put the brake on and go to the front and talk to her. She smiles at me, so I figure we're fine for another short distance. I have to stop a couple more times before we go our short distance and finally head home and by this time Ailey is saying she wants to go home and Marin is looking at me saying the same thing. So much for our outing. I can't tell that it actually did any of us any good. Marin and Silje were crying something terrible by the time I got their bottles ready and headed for naps. And I'm more tired than I should be after a, what, 1/2 mile walk. Mental exaustion?


I have to say that our outings usually happen more smoothly than this one. We can take a trip to the Farmer's Market or the park or the mall without too many glitches. Today the stars just weren't aligned in our favor. Better luck tomorrow.

No comments: