Wednesday, July 6, 2011

A Beautiful 4th


It's not very often that we get a sunny 4th of July. In fact, I think the general rule is that if it's nice on the 3rd and nice on the 5th, it's raining, cloudy, and/or cold on the 4th. So imagine our surprise and delight when the weather forecast held true on the 4th and we got to sit through a parade in the sun!

And it wasn't just sunny - it was warm and beautiful. While I remembered to slather the girls in sunblock, I forgot myself (really, there's no good excuse) and am still nursing a stinging burn on my left shoulder. But I refuse to complain about it because it was my first opportunity to burn since last summer. I'll take it!

We went to the Edmonds parade (the girls are loving parades right now - we walked in the Marysville parade a couple weeks ago, and are already talking up the Mukilteo Lighthouse Festival parade in September). The parade itself was a little disappointing - we've definitely seen better - but the outing was fun and Marin and Silje are still talking about the candy.

We went from the parade to Mount Vernon to spend the afternoon with my parents. My mom was able to spend the afternoon sitting on the deck, still recovering from back surgery, which made us appreciate the beautiful day even more. My dad did the food shopping and prep - those of you who know him know how impressive that is! Andy grilled. I tried to even out my lop-sided burn by keeping my right shoulder in the sun more than the left. And the girls scootered, played in the playhouse, and tossed paper airplanes off the back of the deck.

A Happy 4th of July!

Waiting for the parade was half the fun.


Hey, if there aren't any firetrucks coming down the road yet, enjoy the best seat while you can!

And what did the girls do to pass the time waiting? Collect rocks, of course. (How is this still such a favorite hobby?!)



The motorcycle cops doing their formations to start the parade.

Prime seating.

Scootering around Grandma and Grandpa's driveway.

Happy July, everyone! And Happy FINALLY Summer!

No comments: