On the way home from preschool a while back Ailey announced that she knew what she wanted to be when she grew up. That week they had a police officer and a fireman in to talk to the kids. This was the police officer day. She had come bursting out of the classroom with her Officer Ailey shield on, a badge in her hands, and recited the day's lesson: "When you're in trouble you call 9-1-1!" In the car she announced "I know what I want to be when I grow up!" Not having heard these words from her yet in her short life I smiled at the possibility of what was coming. "I'm going to be a police officer." "Oh, really--" "And", she finished, "a princess!"
Aahh, there it was! Just what every parent waits for - the answer to what is going on in that little head! Ailey continued to explain that police officers help people and catch bad guys ... but they don't pick up skunks. Um, ok. I can only imagine the question-and-answer forum that had produced that topic with the visiting officer. And as for the princess part? Well, you know, police officers help people and catch the bad guys, and the princess gets to dance and smile and be nice to everyone. There just couldn't be a better double-career!
1 comment:
Hilarious! I want to know...who DOES pick up skunks?!?
Post a Comment