Ailey had a big day today. Not only did she have her first dentist appointment in the morning and get her cast off in the afternoon, but she did really well with the dentist and handled the cast coming off like a pro.
I went with Ailey in the morning to a pediatric dentist in Everett. This place is hell bent on sending the kids out believing they had a great time. They do it tastefully. The office is decorated like a jungle, and I mean decorated. The walls are trees, animals are everywhere, "fish tanks" on all the computer screens. The waiting area even has a tree that kids can climb, among other things. Ailey and I were led back to a room where she got to choose a new toothbrush and floss. The hygenist explained a bit to Ailey what they were going to do, then brought us both to a room where Ailey chose Cars to watch on the screen on the ceiling. The rooms are just rooms, no jungle. But they are actual rooms, not just sectionals. There wasn't even a window on the door. Other older kids were in open areas, I assume because they weren't expected to throw a fit. The dentist is a 40-ish woman who was very understanding of Ailey's, um, independence. I ended up leaving the room for a bit, so I don't know how she did it (though I plan on interogating her for her techniques later), but she actually got Ailey to show her teeth and let her clean them. The hygenist who came to get me said that there were no tears, but that they could tell Ailey was a little anxious. By the time I walked in she was full-on crying, I assume for my benefit. Though, say what you will, Ailey holds in her emotions as best she can and I think that was her kind of letting go at the end. She had done what was asked of her and now she was ready for some comfort. She willingly showed me her clean teeth, gave both the dentist and hygenist hugs, accepted her "prizes" graciously, and agreed that she had had fun.
I think I've said this before: She amazes me every day. Who knew my stubborn, strong-willed 3-year-old could survive her first dentist trip with no scars?!
Perhaps we should have rewarded her successful dentist trip by taking her to pick out an apple, or shopping for glittery toothpaste, but we had promised her a trip to McDonald's for ice cream if she cooperated. So she and I sat at McDonald's this morning while I ate a chocolate covered ice cream cone and she licked, 4 or 5 times even, a vanilla cone.
After a couple hours at home, Andy got to take Ailey to get her cast off. Not knowing how much she remembers from 1 1/2 years ago, we had prepared her a little bit for the machine that cuts off casts. Of course, reminding her of the noisy saw had heightened her anxieties a bit so that for the past two days she's been talking about not wanting her cast off. Andy apparently met with some resistence when they were called back to the cast room, but Ailey liked the idea of the ear protectors and ended up watching quietly as the cast was cut off. She held still for the xrays too, and even chatted with the doctor when he came in. She was given a brace for her wrist, mostly for security in the next couple days. I remember learning when Ailey was in her spica cast, that kids often had a hard time coming out of their casts because the casts had become a sort of security blanket. With it taken away they felt exposed and uncomfortable. Coming out of an arm cast is a bit less stressful, but the brace should help if Ailey gets protective of her arm.
Ailey and Andy celebrated her getting the cast off by visiting the Farmer's Market for popcorn on their way home. Unfortunately, the "popcorn lady" wasn't there today, so they just got zucchini and yellow squash, Ailey's favorite veggies. She had a much needed bath tonight and lots of lotion applied to her scaley arm. She seems to be doing fine, not really favoring her arm, but forgetting at times that she can unbend it again.
Both Andy and I were amazed at how well Ailey did today, but chalked it up to the new experiences she's had lately - namely preschool and Sunday School. Maybe today is a sign that she's growing more flexible and moving out of the throws of the Terrible Threes. Maybe. I'm not holding my breath and am nowhere near celebrating yet!
No comments:
Post a Comment